Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Why are films today based more on what could happen?...

           My question for this post is "Why are film today based more on what could happen? Unlike movies from around five or so year ago which were based on true stories. I suppose my question sort of points towards war movies. About five or ten years ago movies would come out being based off of recent happenings around the world such as, Black Hawk Down. Today you see more war/battle movies based on false events such as Battle: LA or Avatar. Is it that there just hasn't been any major events that a movie could be made out of, because I find that hard to imagine with all the talk about Iraq and what not. Or could it be that these types of movies don't attract as big of a audience as these fictional war movies do. I mean I can understand why some people would rather go see a movie about fake aliens taking over the world rather than a movie based on American soldiers being killed. To find an answer to this question, I will need to search a bit an try to find answer based on filmmakers and the audiences from both types non-fiction and fiction. I'll try and keep this updated with answers I get.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Wes,

    I think that this is a really rich question! Bravo to you! Some films serve as representations of real life. Do you agree with this? Do you see "Avatar" as an allegory for any real war? If we can see shapes that resemble reality, what do you think that we require some degree of removal from an upfront representation of reality?

    The lazy answer might be that we are sick of so much reality television to want to see more reality at the cinema, but I think that you can find more socially nuanced reasons that far exceed my lazy answer!

    How do you plan to incorporate genre? It looks like you are focused on war films right now. Do you foresee this genre as your main focus? What genre holds your attention right now?

    Keep me posted; this is a great start!

    Bloggingly,
    RW

    ReplyDelete